Re: Propshaft U-Joint: Should I?

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Propshaft U-Joint: Should I?
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:33:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
john donohoe wrote:

> Can anyone give me their .02 on this dilemma:
>
> After rebuilding the entire rear end from diff out on my '70 GT6+, I
> notice a high freq. vibration from about 40 which gets worse on up to
> 80. The u-joint at the diff end of the propshaft seems slightly loose,
> but there is no "clunking" yet (I know, shoulda' done along with the
> rest of 'em.)
>
> But see, I would really like to drive to English day at the races
> (about 160 mi-just to watch, not race!) but am concerned about doing
> damage to the rest of the drivetrain. I just don't have the time to
> replace the thing this week!
>
> In general, will driving with this sort of vibration cause immediate
> damage? I promise I'll replace the offending joint--maybe even balance
> the propshaft--yet this fall!
>
> TIA,
> John Donohoe
> '70 GT6+ KC81718
> '70 GT6+ (future Sixfire)

John, you really don't have to promise the list to straighten this
u-joint out it will usually happen on the open road on the way to the
races, I sure would not want to chance a u bolt breaking loose at 60 MPH
and the drive shaft coming up thru what ever, after all what is 30
minutes of your time worth, on the side of the road, missing the races.