Re: TR250, TR4 compatibility

To: lwatkins@rps.nwsc.k12.ar.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR250, TR4 compatibility
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:43:29
Hi Bill,
     You asked:

>       All of these facts seem inconsistent.  Are there two bolt patterns for
>TR250 fans out there?  If so, I could swap my red fan with someone for a
>fan with Will's bolt pattern and be in good shape.  What's going on
>here?  Insight?  Thoughts?  Advice?

Well, as a matter of fact, after this discussion last week, I decided to
take a look at the TR fans at the swap meet at the car show last weekend.
As it turns out, there are two different "yellow" fans.  There is a 13
blade fan that is the same as the red, late TR-6 fan that uses the spacer
and has the wide bolt pattern.  There is also a seven bladed yellow fan
with smaller bolt pattern that does bolt up to the TR2/3/4 crank extension.
This is what I used on my TR-3 prior to fitting an aluminum extension
and elelctric fan.  My understanding (which could well be wrong) is that
this seven bladed fan was from a TR-250, while the 13 blade fan (and spacer)
was from a TR-6; maybe someone else knows for sure.

Hope that helps,

R. John Lye

'59 TR-3A; '62 TR-4; '70 GT-6+
Palmyra, VA  USA