Re: TR4 - hole dimensions for starter handle needed

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 - hole dimensions for starter handle needed
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:06:00 -0400
Cc: <Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Brad

Most rad shops will be able to use your bottom and top tanks with a new
core (probably double or triple since newer rads are more efficient and
tend to be thinner) but usually, that will not include an opening. When my
local rad shop did my 67 TR4A (no centre hole), the increased cooling
capacity was at least 50% because of the more modern core. I suspect it
might add substantially to the cost to have the opening put in.

The opening in the rad is actually surrounded by a flange that bends back
over the rad core. the openingbetween the inner surfaces of the flange is 1
3/4" horizontally and 2 1/2" vertically. The top and bottom tanks actually
have a lip that extends to partially encase the core...that is, the core
fits inside the tank lip. I measured from the edge of the lip, not the
actual core and the opening is 9 1/8" down from the top and 5" up from the
bottom. From the outer edge of the rad to the inner edge of the opening is
5 3/4" on each side. Hope this helps...if not, maybe I can draw &/or scan
something and send it privately.

Cheers
Keith Stewart