TR-6 Dizzy query

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR-6 Dizzy query
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 20:59:29 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Would some of you early 6 owners have a look at something for me? I am
wondering if my vacuum advance is working correctly.  I have both Vacuum adv
and retard on my dizzy.  Inside the dizzy, below the points, is a spring
that comes from the adv module.  Is that spring loose or taut when the car
is off? Adv and retard are connected together, when you push one the other
moves too, when off, where do they rest?  Mine sits fully advanced and the
spring is quite loose, no tension at all. I have a funny feeling that its
not right and would like to compare notes.

My retard has been disconnected, its capped off at the carbs, but not the
dizzy, do you think I should seal that opening?

Finally, which way does the points plate rotate when advancing, seems to me
it must be clockwise.  How can the advance module advance the timing if the
module can't move out?  I wish I could see the action of the mechanical and
vacuum advance from inside the dizzy with the engine running.

When revving the engine and watching with the timing light I see "some"
advancement, but not a lot.  I usually set it around 10 BTDC (remember my
retard is disconnected) and when revving it advances out to about 20, but no
further.

The car's running good, but doesn't seem to have quite the punch I think it
should under hard acceleration. TIA for comments.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK