Timing chain & gears?

To: submit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Timing chain & gears?
From: Eileen Kramer <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:49:08 -0400
Listers, I have another question.   When replacing the Timing Chain
Tensioner, is it a MUST to replace the Chain & BOTH gears [at the SAME
time]? Is there a standard in which to follow that determends when to
replace the chain because of it being stretched?
I know that in the bicycle busness that there is a "gage" to determen
when to replace the chain, & then there's a "Rule of Thumb"- [Pull the
chain that is on the LARGEST sprocket out from the curved part of the
teeth. If you have the chain pin pulled out to the apex of the tooth,
then REPLACE it]. Also, you can put NEW sprockets on an old bike chain,
BUT [if the chain is to far gone] you CAN'T always put a new chain on
old sprokets (because it will  still slip - the teeth are worn into a
slight oval).
Thank you in advance of your input. -Cosmo Kramer