Stag overdrive selection

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stag overdrive selection
From: Mike Stevenson <mike.stevenson@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:44:30 +0100
Help please!

Although my 1971 Stag has overdrive which should operate in 3rd and 4th gears,
I found
to my great surprise the other day that it didn't disengage in reverse!!  (I've
only owned the car for 2 months). Luckily no damage was done as I realised
after
reversing about a foot what had happened.

I then decided to see if the problem existed in 1st and 2nd gears and indeed it
did even
though I could engage and disengage at will with the gearlever switch.

On further investigation it appeared that the gearbox inhibitor switch that
sits on the
top cover had been by-passed and that the gearlever switch is putting power
directly to
the solenoid.

Although I,ve checked the manuals, I can find very little reference to the
inhibitor and
I would like some idea as to how it picks up it's signal from the gearbox.

I have little doubt that the switch was by-passed because it is defective and
to change
it means dropping the gearbox.

In the interest of safety I have re-wired to the defective switch which means
that
currently I have no overdrive, rather that than expensive repair bills.

Does anyone have experience in this area and could you also tell me the correct
size of
wiring from gearlever switch to gearbox switch and the to the solenoid?

Thanks.

Mike Stevenson