Re: Stag overdrive selection

To: Tom Jell <thomas.jell@mchp.siemens.de>
Subject: Re: Stag overdrive selection
From: Mike Stevenson <mike.stevenson@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:31:56 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom Jell wrote:

> Mike
>
> first I've forwarded your request to the stag mailing list.
>
> >Although my 1971 Stag has overdrive which should operate in 3rd and 4th
>gears,
> >I found to my great surprise the other day that it didn't disengage in
>reverse!
> >(I've only owned the car for 2 months). Luckily no damage was done as I
> >realised after reversing about a foot what had happened.
> >On further investigation it appeared that the gearbox inhibitor switch that
> >sits on the top cover had been by-passed and that the gearlever switch is
> >putting power directly to the solenoid.
>
> that's why we call them PDO
>
> >I have little doubt that the switch was by-passed because it is defective
>and to change it means dropping the gearbox.
>
> I'm not sure, but maybe just unbolting the driveshaft, unbolting the rear
>gearbox mounting  might allow you to lower the engine+gearbox unit to get
>access ?
>
> >Does anyone have experience in this area and could you also tell me the
> >correct size of wiring from gearlever switch to gearbox switch and the to the
> >solenoid?
>
> It's in the Workshop manual. If don`t have one, you for sure need to get one
>(Rimmer and others). In the meantime I can fax you that page, if you like.
>
> Tom
>
> "That's not a leak... My car is just marking its territory!"
>   (stolen from Greg Petrolati)
>
> "Life is too short to drive boring cars!"
> Thomas Jell                       | '79 Spitfire (running, running, ...)
> 81730 Muenchen                    | '74 STAG     (running ... after some work)
> E-mail: jell@teds-universe.com    |              (during the last two years)
>                                   | '63 TR 4     (being rebuilt)
> WWW: british car                  | http://www.team.net/sol/
>      Triumph Home Page            | http://www.team.net/www/triumph/
>      my Home Page                 |
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2121/
>      Component User's Conf        |
>http://www.teleport.com/~goldman/jell/cuc.html
>      Company                      | http://www.sni.de/
>      Department                   |
>http://www.sni.de/public/aswba/sdp/default.htm
> Tel : +49 89 636 47405            |
> Fax : +49 89 636 40757            |

Tom,
Thanks for your reply.

I've carried out further investigation with a multi meter and have now
discovered that
the gearbox switch seems to be o.k. What a relief.  I do own the manual and
like you say
it's a 'must have' in fact on closer examination it says that the switch can be
removed
by removing the lower console.

I've now determined that the gearlever switch is o.k. after rewiring it but I'm
left
with a snakes wedding of cables which vary greatly from the colours given in
the books!!

I'll keep at it though and if I discover anything earth shattering I'll report
it.

Does anyone know what sort of voltag/current there should be at the gearlever
switch??
I'm getting a measurement in millivolts (about 300).

Sorry, what's PDO?