Re: Ignitor

To: mmason@lindenwood.edu
Subject: Re: Ignitor
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 14:32:15 1998
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Having sold or installed about 75 of these units, I
feel I see a trend...

I have learned to respect the ability of the common points
to fire an engine no matter what "ugly" state the ignition system
is in.

In the vast majority of cases, the failure of the Ignitor is
related to the installation in a car that has "never" run quite
right.  This describes about 1/3 of the TR6's I've seen.  After
extensive fault isolation, you'll usually find multiple problems
with these cars.  Once these problems are eliminated, the Ignitor
seems to work fine and work forever.

I have cars running an Ignitor for 3 years and 50,000 miles,
believe I changed the plugs once, otherwise no adjustment.

One of my cars exhibited the "Ignitor eating" problem...  a
symptom was the "noise" in the new digital radio.  After the
Ignitor failed, I spent some time isolating two bad ignition
wires, a bad cap, a bad base plate, a broken advance spring,
and a bad coil.   Once all these were fixed, the car ran strong.
The Ignitor didn't burn up and the "noise" in the radio was gone.

I like the Ignitor with stock coils and NGK 6ES plugs gapped at 0.035,
with the retard plugged at the carb and timing at 12 BTDC.

As an aside, the TR6 will get almost 30 mpg on the highway when its
adjusted correctly.  Biggest problem most folks have is vaccum leaks
in the engine/booster/cannister/intake subsystem.   As the emission
hoses are after the air/fuel mix, any leak prevents proper adjustment
of the mixture over the range.  Second place, ignition problems.

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com 512-794-9567, FAX 512-345-2879