Re: Green lighted gages

To: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Green lighted gages
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:42:52 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Are you saying that the new "OEM-style" Smiths gauges that
>XK's provides have plastic, not metal housings?  I was just
>going to place an order with them, but not if this is the
>case.  I'll dig up an old one and set Nisonger loose on it
>instead.  The cost is mostly a wash anyway...
***********************************
I'm not sure about the rest of the gauges, but the Ammeter I ordered had an
entirely white, plastic body, including the two mounting studs, and the
threaded nuts that hold down the retaining bracket (which was metal). The
only metal parts besides the aforementioned bracket were the internal
workings (for obvious reasons) and the bezel (which was not removable
unless you bend the tabs, unlike the original metal ones that just required
a twist).  I filed notches in the plastic retaining flange to emulate the
slots in the metal ones to facilitate installation and removal.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire