Re: Clutch Bearing Release Sleave Pin

To: Wages Jeffrey <bzw8@cdc.gov>
Subject: Re: Clutch Bearing Release Sleave Pin
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:42:25 -0500
Cc: "'triumphsautoxteamnet'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Wages Jeffrey wrote:

> Does anyone know the necessity and/or size of the @1/6" dia pin found on the
> clutch release sleave.  It appears to prevent the sleeve from spinning.  Any
> information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff Wages
> '71 TR6

i think it's thee to prevent the carrier from spinning, to make sure
that only the bearring spins. The Tr3's and 4's didn't have it and after
many many miles if the bearing got sticky the whole carrier would spin
and the fork fingers would wear flat on one side.

I am running a TR6 carrier on my race car. The little pin broke off
before I started using it. In three seasons, no adverse effect
noticeable on annual teardown.

By the way, this little gubbin can be replaced, with enough fiddling.
Also, if the two dowels in the fork that ride against the carrier get
worn flat on the front, they can be loosened, turned, and re-staked.

Not for the faint of heart but it works.

--
uncle jack
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer