TR3 smoking during accel.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 smoking during accel.
From: LASSWELL56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:21:23 EDT
Maybe someone can give me some advice as to where to look
in order to solve a problem.  My TR3a (TS66590) seems to
smoke excessively only under full throttle acceleration, in par-
ticular at over 3000rpm.  Its a thick, grey smoke (unburnt hydro-
carbons?)  accompanied by sudden valve rattle (float?).  Valve
timing seems correct, and the plugs indicate a slightly rich mix-
ture, at least at idle.  So... maybe going lean at full throttle?  Or
a weak valve spring or two?  Mabe even the carb float levels drop-
ping suddenly?  Any suggestions appreciated.