Re: U-joint installation

To: bdstinocher@sewsus.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: U-joint installation
From: Bush4brits@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:10:05 EDT
Hi Bryan,
When I replaced the u-joints on my MGB last year, it was a 45 min job.
Basically, it was the classic: 1) remove circlips, 2) knock out the bearing
from the opposite side using an old socket or brass drift , 3) same for the
other side, using the drift on the yoke this time, 4) use a vise to install
new bearings onto the new yoke, 5) install new circlips. HOWEVER.......when I
replaced the u-joints on my TR-3A (under restoration), it was an entirely
different story. The bearings just didn't want to be drifted out as easily as
the 'B'......and when I went to reassemble, I couldn't get the circlips
installed because the bearings wouldn't seat........and this was after some
serious clamping on the vice.
3 hours later I found that one of the needles had dislodged and was resting in
the bottom of the cup........I had crushed it. I had to do that yoke over.
I concluded that the problem with Triumph u-joints is that the bearing bore
tolerances  provide more press fit than the 'B'. In hindsight I could have
honed them out just enough to remove .001" or .002".
I didn't give you any tips........but I can empathize......"been there, done
that"
Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB (drive a lot, show a little)
60 TR-3A ( under restoration)