Re: Need help with front end lubricant

To: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Subject: Re: Need help with front end lubricant
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:28:09 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Vito,

My TR4/4A manual addresses this. It says to use simple motor oil and
shake off excess or set aside to drain off for a while. I think the
motor oil is intended just to get things going with a fresh, clean, dry
seal. After the car is back on the road, oil should regularly work its
way out to the felt seal from inside the hub as the grease is worked by
the wheel bearings, keeping the seal well lubed.

Incidently, I know on the TR4 it is important to temporarily overtighten
the front axle nut a bit to "seat" both the bearings and that seal, then
back off to give a little play. When you tighten the axle nut by feel
with a fresh seal, the thickness of the seal can fool you into thinking
it's tighter that it actually is. I like to then double check the play
several times for the first 200 or so miles after the car is back on the
road, as things settle into place.

Of course, another solution would be to take the felt seal to your
friendly local parts supplier and try to match up a modern rubber seal
to replace it. ;-)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602