Re: converting radio to pos gnd

To: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Subject: Re: converting radio to pos gnd
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:51:43 -0800 (PST)
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, George Hahn wrote:

> > ...Is it strange that I haven't
> > gotten any recommendations to NOT convert to neg. ground?  Is there any good
> > reason not too?
>
> I know of no technical advantage to + ground, think I even heard that -
> ground cars were less prone to rust.  I still maintain my TR with +
> ground just because -- for me -- this is, along with points ignition,
> that wimpy generator and the hole in the radiator all part of the charm
> and character of these vehicles.

My dad's theory (after driving a Vauxhall, Austin, and EnFo on many a
night) was that on foggy days / nights, the + ground cars would have their
electrons sucked out by all the - ground cars in the vicinity and would
magically die by the side of the road.

Right or wrong, the Viva, Cambridge, and Cortina all died at some point
due to electrics (sometimes, a repeat performance)-- I prefer to have a
big alternator and wilt-the-trees headlights in my TR4.  When I pull the
grille off to do some bodywork I think I will beef up the wiring to the
wilt-the-trees headlights too.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm