Re: Power Upgrades

To: sugar@holly.colostate.edu
Subject: Re: Power Upgrades
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:13:52 EST
Cc: diiulio@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-03-12 12:37:49 EST, sugar@holly.ColoState.EDU writes:

> or you could just take the nice 2.0 liter out of my Galant VR-4 with 210
>  horses and absolutely not weight.  And for under $1000 dollars in mods you
>  can have at least 350 horse....hmmmm something to think about....

Aaron,

Something to think about indeed!  I'm kinda partial to V8s, but it's a
nostalgia thing more than anything else. There are a lot of engines out there
that will work very well as a swap. The primary advantage to a 5.0 liter
anything vs a 2.0 liter something else is in streetability. All else being
equal, 350 HP out of 5.0L will be MUCH more civilized than 350 HP out of 2.0L,
regardess of the engine configuration.

I will add one thing, though -- I have seen a turbo-charged 4 cylinder engine
installed in a TR6, and believe me, it was a LOT more work to do than putting
in a V8. I'm not sure what the net weigh change was, but probably not a lot
better than the Ford 302 with aluminum heads, which will REDUCE the front end
weight by about 25 pounds in a TR6. By the time you add in all the weight of
the turbo unit and the necessary plumbing, I'm reasonably sure the 4 cylinder
weight was getting up there close to the TR6 engine.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA (for the remainder of the day)