Re: Vehicle Seizure

To: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Vehicle Seizure
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@iwaynet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 07:03:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Arthur,
Thank You for the website pointer.  There appears to be an effort in multiple
states to allow indivdual local officials to seize vehicles if they have bad
hair days or feel like it, with little pre-seizure process. I was surprised to
see Ohio in the mix.  The Ohio legislative attempt looks to have started in
1997 and does not appear to have gone anywhere...yet.  The Ohio legislation can
be found by going through the Ohio.Gov web page. It's HB 549. What's
frightening is this is the first I remember hearing about it. This strikes me
as one of those items that lays in a backroom for a period of time and if it
does not explode, quietly gets slipped in as a new law after everyone forgets
it's there.   If these become law they will be difficult to remove because
local officials can increase their available funding without public consent and
limited due process.

Could lead to a twisted future where  you obtain needed restoration parts from
your local official. See something you need in the community, he/she will have
it transferred to their lot.  Seems to have the potential to become a legal
auto theft ring, parts market.  Next thing you know they'll be seizing pink
flamingo's. We have a local case where "lawn art" crossed the community image
boundry, that one involved a motorcyle and other items that were part of a
landscape garden.