TR3 Body Dip

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Body Dip
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:38 -0500
Hop-count: 1
I've almost finished removing everything that bolts on to my TR3A body and
frame. Rather than spend countless hours with grinders, sanders, wire brushes,
etc., to remove all the grime and paint, I'm thinking of having both the body
and frame "dipped" (or washed with acid, treated with chemicals, or whatever
they do).

I have heard that this process will eat up rust, but also anything that's not
iron or steel, i.e., Bondo, fibreglass, aluminium, rubber, and some alloys. Is
this true? Are there any parts of the frame or body that will not survive the
acid or chemicals that are used? For those of you who've done this before, are
there any ill side effects to having the body "dipped"?

Although I have not asked for any quotes yet, I've heard that this process on a
car this size should run around $300 for the body, and $50 for the frame. Does
this sound about right?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI