Re: Getting a flywheel off (TR6)

To: Steve Nabors <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Getting a flywheel off (TR6)
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 11:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sun, 23 May 1999, Steve Nabors wrote:

> Any help on binding the engine so it won't tunr over would be greatly
>appreciated.

Try sticking rope into the cylinder bores (this is the trick used for
popping the cylinder head).  Won't work if you have the head off though.
Rope is compressible to a point, so you won't scratch up your bores, and
it's easy to get it into and out of the cylinder.

You should stick the rope into cylinders that are matched; I think 1 and 6
are on the inline 6; (anyone?)

Also, if you have the old (needle) style of torque wrench, put it away and
get a breaker bar.  Needle-style torque wrenches have a lot of flex, and
you might bend it by whacking it with a hammer; even a rubber one.  A
breaker bar is meant only for undoing Things That Are Tight.  If you have
lots of these Things, get a good bar, so you can astound the guys in the
tool department by showing up with a broken one every other weekend.

Racers are prone to using a 6-foot piece of pipe on their breaker bars and
(naturally) breaking them.

Even if you have the newer, solid-type torque wrench, don't use it;
they're not very robust, and can still break.  Plus, they don't usually
have the free-replacement warranty that Craftsman / Mastercraft / etc
"plain" hand tools have.

> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account
>at http://www.eudoramail.com

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm