Re: Getting a flywheel off (TR6)

To: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Getting a flywheel off (TR6)
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:52:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

    Steve> I'm in the midst of replacing my clutch and I need to replace a
    Steve> leaking rear main engine seal. This morning I've been trying to
    Steve> get the flywheel off but I'm having trouble getting the engine to
    Steve> bind on something so it doesnt turn over.

I don't know if they are universally applicable, but in another life
fiddling with old Porsches, we used to use a U-shaped gizmo that had a hole
in the bottom of the U.  The "legs" of the U engaged the teeth of the
flywheel. A long bolt was run through a transmission mounting hole in the
engine block, through the hole in the U and snugged down with a nut.

I made a bad drawing of such a bracket (I can't draw worth a damn) and
placed it at

    http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/bracket.gif

I don't know if it such a device would fit on Triumphs, but it might give
you some ideas about how to secure your flywheel.

I agree with the others who have posted that you don't want to be bashing
your torque wrench.  Besides the possibility of obvious damage, after
whacking it, even if it appears fine, how can you trust its calibration
anymore?

Skip Montanaro  | Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com  | Musi-Cal: http://www.musi-cal.com/
518-372-5583