Re: aftermarket seats

To: Beth and Ken <BethKen@erols.com>
Subject: Re: aftermarket seats
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:10:57 -0600
Cc: Windoseat@aol.com, frank@zk3.dec.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Beth and Ken wrote:

> My last LBC before my current GT6+ WAS a TC Lotus Europa!
> It was tough getting into (and out of) but had plenty of room for
> me (5'10")...maybe more than the GT6. I'm 46. What's wrong with you guys?
> Must be driving Buicks to work.

Greg Wolf's comment about aftermarket seats is appropriate for bigger
people--the wings on the sides are to provide more lateral support
during hard cornering, and that makes them harder to get into.

I, too, drive my GT6 to work regularly (when I don't walk), and it's a
chore getting into it (I'm 6'4"), so addition wing supports would
definitely make the process worse.

The original poster complained of lumbar trouble because he had to
slouch down to fit into the car, and I concur--my knees are up around
the steering wheel (smaller steering wheel helps in that regard). The
problem is that most aftermarket seats today equipped with adjustable
lumbar support, such as those available from Recaro, are broader than
will fit in a GT6, and racing seats have considerable lateral support,
making them difficult to get into. I'm still looking for a seat which is
thin enough fit, shallow enough to provide additional leg room, and
still provide some margin of comfort.

The other detraction is cost--aftermarket seats are quite high-priced.
If I find one which fits well and does all those things, I'll be sure to
let everyone know, but I haven't found it yet.

Cheers.