Re: RE: TR-6 Wooden Facia Originality

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: TR-6 Wooden Facia Originality
From: bob@nwstar.com
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 17:45:30 -0600

>FWIW, I removed and refinished my TR^ dash some 10 years ago. There was one
>place where the veneer had broken away and where I had to fit a replacement
>patch, but otherwise it was straightforward. Sand by hand, then exterior
>grade varnish of your preferred gloss. I used high gloss. Applied several
>coats and sanded lightly between caots. The result is sharp and dresses up
>the entire cockpit.

    The veneer on my '69 TR6 was badly cracked and chipped, so  last fall I
removed the wood dash, ran the wood through a planer and took off the top
layer of veneer, then glued on new oak veneer, with marine epoxy glue and lots
of pressure.  After two days under pressure, I used a router to rough finish
the holes then fine sandpapaer to finish them.   I used one continuous sheet
of veneer so the wood grain matched the dash and glovebox.  I then gave it 7
coats of stain with Watkin's Walnut Oil finish, and the 5 coats of
UV-resistant exterior Urethane, with the usual light sanding and such in
between.  It came out quite nice, as anyone can see if they look at
http://www.nwstar.com/~tr6/dash.jpg and/or
http://www.nwstar.com/~tr6/cockpit.jpg.  The whole car can be seen at
http://www.nwstar.com/~tr6/69tr6.jpg, that is if anyone really cares.  :)

                    .....Bob