Bonnet removal tips?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bonnet removal tips?
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 09:05:25 -0400
Triumphoi -

The long dark winter of no-Triumph-work has finally ended (my thesis
has gone to the committee.)  I'm back to dismantling in preparation for
firewall repairs and new paint (engine compartment and exterior.)

In order to get at the firewall easily, I'm going to pull the engine and
tranny.
I assume the bonnet has to come off.  Its looks like it will be a challenge
to reinstall and get it straight.  I'm looking for tips.

1) Should I remove the bonnet by leaving the hinges on the body,
or remove the hinges with the bonnet?

2) If I leave the hinges on the body, is there a better way to mark the
bonnet alignment than scratching around the hinges with an awl?

Thanks for the advice.

Cliff Hansen