Re: Bonnet removal tips?

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Subject: Re: Bonnet removal tips?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:41:37 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I took a pencil and outlined the hinge to bonnet connection.  With two people,
it's fairly easy to remove the bonnet from the hinges.  I recommend removing and
reinstalling each bolt before you remove them all.  Don't want to discover the
last one is frozen.  I removed all but one of the bolts from each side then
grabbed a neighbor and we each took out the last bolt and lifted off the bonnet.
Make sure you have a place to put it where it won't get scratched.

Installation was the reverse.  I ran a tap through the holes in the bonnet then
had the neighbor help get the bonnet back on and all the screws snug, but not
tight.  I then lowered the bonnet and adjusted the fit.  I recommend leaving off
the latch from the firewall until you have the fit adjusted.  For peace of mind,
I encourage you to install a back up latch release.  That first shut with the
latch engaging can be a little nerve racking.

I did trace the outline of the strike plate on the firewall with an sharp metal
object.  Since I painted the engine compartment, you can't rally see it unless
you get real close.  The same should hold true for the bonnet, but I wasn't
painting that, so I went with pencil.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6