Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:11:04 -0700
Michael Marr wrote:

> I installed the Mocal spin-on filter adaptor today, on my TR3A.  I am seeing
> a leak around the outer rim of the adaptor, where it seals inside the groove
> that the old cartridge filter holder sat in..... Seems to me
> that someone had a similar problem recently, and found the perfect gasket
> somewhere or other.

I think it was me & perhaps others.  Being lazy I had never bothered to replace
the gasket in all the years I used the cartridges, but did so when I installed
the adaptor (using one of the gaskets supplied with it) and got a fine leak.
Fortunately, in addition to being lazy I am frugal & had saved all the gaskets
from over the years that came with the cartridges.

Sure enough, in addition to coming in two sizes (fat & skinny) some of the fat
ones were a bit fatter than the others.  I found one that seemed to better fill
the groove of the adaptor and indeed the leak was gone.

Since you're looking for a diameter and a specific profile in a "square" O-ring
it may be hard to find on the shelf somewhere.  If you send me your address I
can mail you 2 or 3 likely ones from my "collection".

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A