MKII differential whiny noise

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MKII differential whiny noise
From: Cliff Pike <cpike@cpass.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 17:44:02 -0400
Hello listers:
I've been driving my MKII now for a couple of years, and have decided
that I should correct the wwhiny noise emanating from the rear end,
which does not appear to be getting any worse, but is a bit irritating.
( most prominent when accelerating, pretty well disappears when coasting
)
Is there a way to determine where this noise is being generated, i.e
from worn bearings , worn gears, or incorrect backlash settings? Maybe a
combination of the above?
My Haynes manual very kindly gives me a breakdown of the differential
innards, but suggests not messing with it. Maybe I should purchase a
rebuilt unit, as the manual suggests. Does anyone have any experience
rebuilding one of these?
I have rebuilt my 58 TR3A differential, but the manual provided all the
specs to follow. (On the other hand, I haven't driven it yet, so the
quality of the 'workmanship' remains to be seen :->)
I do have a spare differential on my parts car.
Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Cliff Pike
Guelph, Ontario
'66 Spitfire4 MKII  FC85163  (driver, complete with whiny rear end...)
'64 Spitfire4  (parts for above)
'58 TR3A TS30767LO (under restoration)
'59 TR3A TS47064 (parts)
'60 TR3A TS64232 (mostly complete, for parts or restoration?)

--
visit our website at: www.cpass.net