Re: What are TR4 Cylinder Head specs?

Subject: Re: What are TR4 Cylinder Head specs?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:35:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Carl :

The TR4/A Competition Preparation manual recommends removing .150" from
the cylinder head, and implies this is no problem if you have the
correct head for your car, which should have a flat on the bottom of the
water outlet at the front of the head.  Kas Kastner says to check for
interference between the water outlet, and the top of the water pump,
grinding mostly the water pump for clearance.  He also says you will
need to trim 1/4" from the bottom of the manifold gaskets.

Of course, the .150" mill is only for racing, the 11.7 CR that Kas talks
about will not be happy with pump gas !  But, it is a good indication of
how much metal can be removed.

If you do get your CR too high, you can either remove some metal from
the combustion chamber (as Kas recommends for breathing), or use an
extra thick head gasket from Mordy Dunst.  Or, do as I do, and add a
dash of MMT octane improver to each tank of premium gas.

Randall