Jammed Reverse Gear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Jammed Reverse Gear
From: "Tom Parker" <parkert@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 13 Sep 99 21:30:16 +1200
Hi,

I'm subscribing on behalf of my mate John who has a problem.

He has a 2500 TC which used to have a 4 speed manual without an overdrive. The
gearbox died a horrible death a couple of weeks ago (rumbling at idle, then in
first gear, a few days later second). He replaced it with a 4 speed manual
with overdrive out of another 2500 TC that he bought for the gearbox (the
motor was on its last legs). The O/D gearbox does not appear to be original to
the donor car either.

Today he was doing some reversing (as you do) when there was a BANG and the
transmission locked up. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the
selector mechanisim, he can select all gears and the forward ones work,
however in reverse gear he gets less than a foot backwards before it locks up
solid.

The other problem is the overdrive never worked. The electrics weren't hooked
up in the donor car, and in his car it doesn't work. It is a J type overdrive
and has a solinoid on the bottom right (as you lie underneigth it). One
terminal on the solinoid is earthed straight to the transmission case. the
other terminal is free. Connecting this terminal to the battery results in a
some sparks and a small. Doing it while the car is in motion has no effect on
the gearing.

The gearbox is not totally full of oil but is within a centimetre of the
filling plug.

We are going to remove the gearbox and hopefully repair it using parts from
the first gearbox that died (I'm fairly sure it was the first motion shaft
bearing that went).

Does anyone have any ideas about what has happened to it? I've seen some stuff
in the archives that suggests going backwards with the overdrive engaged is a
very bad idea. We didn't do this, but the overdrive isn't working properly so
who knows what is going on with it.

I've rebuilt a Mini gearbox, and accessing reverse gear requires the complete
dismantling of the gearbox, is this going to be the case with the triumph
unit?

--
Tom Parker - parkert@ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/