Re: Jammed Reverse Gear

To: "Ed Woods" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jammed Reverse Gear
From: "Tom Parker" <parkert@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 14 Sep 99 01:26:50 +1200
Ed Woods <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>1. On a "A" type overdrive, the pump is always turning as long as the
>engine's running and you're in gear, even reverse. The pump output is
>directed to the operating pistons when the solenoid is engaged.

Since the J type overdrive is also operated hydrolically, could you drain the
gearbox oil to disable it? I'm not suggesting this as a fix, but to diagnose
whether it is the overdrive or the gearbox that is causing the problem. When
you drain the gearbox will you drain the overdrive to the point where the
hydrolics no longer have any oil, or will there be oil trapped in the
overdrive housing?

>2. There are no large springs to worry about. The energy of the eight

That is good to know.

Assuming that it is the overdrive that is causing it, what can be done to fix
it?

Is it a matter of locating the problem with the solinoid mechanisim and fixing
it? How complicated is this? If the overdrive has been damaged how can it be
bypassed so that no further damage is done, until the time comes to rebuild or
replace it. Money is an issue right at the moment.

--
Tom Parker - parkert@ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/