Re: Overheating GT6...a few more clues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating GT6...a few more clues
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:04:11 -0400
Beth and Ken wrote:

> Well, the vacuum advance on the dist. seems fine. She started this morning,
> I backed her out of the driveway, and shut her off. So, she was just a tad
> warm. Then, she would not restart on choke at all...wanted the choke closed
> and full throttle. Then, when she is running, she wants sone choke for a
> long time to keep running (1,500 RPM). It took her 1/2 hour to overheat w/
> no driving...just idling. The heater works fine, and there seem to be no air
> bubbles or blocks in the system. I'm really starting to suspect the carbs.
> Watcha think?

I just got off the phone an hour ago with a guy who's selling a GT6.  He told
an interesting story about an overheat problem that he just could not
diagnose, until someone told him to look at the plugs.  It turns out that a
spark plug's heat range is governed, in large part, by the length of the
insulator, and that the Vitesse/GT6 head is sensitive to that.  The plugs he
had in it were retaining heat the head in a spot where it has no cooling!  I
don't know if the insulators were too long or too short, but by switching to a
different heat range, the problem went away.

Jeez, what sane person would have that idea?  what a list....
--
Douglas Frank  Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.