Re: Overheating GT6...a few more clues

To: frank@zk3.dec.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating GT6...a few more clues
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:31:15 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-13 13:02:31 EDT, frank@zk3.dec.com writes:

<< I just got off the phone an hour ago with a guy who's selling a GT6.  He
told
 an interesting story about an overheat problem that he just could not
 diagnose, until someone told him to look at the plugs.  It turns out that a
 spark plug's heat range is governed, in large part, by the length of the
 insulator, and that the Vitesse/GT6 head is sensitive to that.  The plugs he
 had in it were retaining heat the head in a spot where it has no cooling!  I
 don't know if the insulators were too long or too short, but by switching to
 different heat range, the problem went away. >>

List,

I've been following this GT6 overheating thread since it's beginnings - with
interest - this latest reply sounds very convincing - if the head indeed has
an inherent hot spot in it around the plug holes, couldn't a "hot plug" cause
overheating?  Coincidently, wouldn't it cause pinging or possibly run-on?

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (Fun Driver)