Re: Gearbox Problems.

To: <parkert@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Problems.
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:44:18 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tom,

Check out the following URL.  It's written for Healeys, but with the A-Type
OD, so it's almost all the same.  I really liked the OD engagement valve
section and it worked great for me. He also covers overhaul and other
problem solving too.

http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/od/finespanner.html#part1

It is a pretty good article on the OD's.

To trouble shoot and test my OD, I went for a drive, without the tranny
tunnel installed and manually moved the actuation lever.  This separates the
solenoid action and adjustment from the OD function.  Once I had good OD
function, I knew any further problems were between the actuation valve and
the solenoid.  BTW - On a hot day, it's really hot in the cockpit without
the tranny tunnel.

Then I installed a hot jumper wire from the OD to check out the function of
the solenoid.  When I engage mine, I get a pretty loud click, which is the
solenoid.  The OD engagement makes no significant noise, just a nice solid
shove in your back, which I hope you will get to experience soon.

Good luck,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando