Re: Gearbox Problems.

To: "Jack Brooks" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Problems.
From: "Tom Parker" <parkert@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 17 Sep 99 14:50:16 +1200
Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com> wrote:

>Check out the following URL.  It's written for Healeys, but with the A-Type
>OD, so it's almost all the same.  I really liked the OD engagement valve
>section and it worked great for me. He also covers overhaul and other
>problem solving too.

>http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/od/finespanner.html#part1

>It is a pretty good article on the OD's.

Unfortunatly, the J type overdrive is completely drifferent, at least on the
outside. There are three things you can take off, the solinoid, the pressure
test plug and the sump plate.

I've taken off the pressure test plug and there isn't anything interesting
underneith, just a drilling that makes a right angle turn some way down.

In the sump there is a weak magnet with a shiney paste on it (fine metal
filings I suppose), a clean gause filter, and 3 or 4 round plugs that you need
to use some strange two pronged tool (or a punch and hammer) to undo.

I haven't yet taken the solinoid off, as I lack the necessary thin spanner.

I guess from here I will have to test the solinoid current, and then remove it
and test of actual movement, and see what I can see inside the solinoid
drilling.

If there isn't anything obvious wrong there, then it looks like either a strip
down, or a bench test is necessary. Bench testing appears possible by
reassembling the transmission and running it with an electric drill. Diagnosis
will require a pressure gauge.

Having said this, we already know that it doesn't work. Can the hydrolics be
fixed without dismantling the unit? Can the hydrolics be diagnosed with the
unit taken apart?

I'm guessing that if the clutch lining has worn out it will be obvious when
the unit is      in bits, and if the clutch lining is ok, then you replace
whatever can be replaced in the hydrolics. What do you do to overhaul a *J*
*Type* overdrive?

--
Tom Parker - parkert@ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/