Re: License plate fitting

To: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Subject: Re: License plate fitting
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:06:21 -0400 ()
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Steve Thornton (hi, Steve!) wrote:

> > I need to place the license plate on the car and want to make sure that I do
> > it as it would have been done at the factory (or the dealer). Does anyone
> > know how a 1971 TR 6 would have had it's license plate affixed to the car?

Brian Schlorff retorted:

> Put it on as sloppily as possible and it'll be just like it came from the
>dealer.  In
> fact, to insure an original look, carefully measure and center everything to
>mark the
> holes.  Then be sure to drill ANYWHERE BUT where those center marks are!  ;-)

Apparently that was true of dealers and some other mechanics back then.
One of my Heralds is a 1960 saloon -- a "Personal Export Delivery" car
that was registered and picked up in England and used there for some time,
apparently finally arriving in the US around 1962 (hence the "1962" on the
title?). The nice little chromed-head bolts that held the long British
number plate were left in the boot lid, and the (NY?) number plate was
centered more or less between them and under the license plate lamp. Then
the holes were drilled in such a way that the plate would slope downwards
from left to right at about a 3 degree angle. Aargh!

But I'll probably leave it that way when the car finally gets restored....

--Andy