Valve Spring/Key Removal

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Spring/Key Removal
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:03:36 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,
This may sound like a rookie question by I need your assistance.  I've got a
spare TR4 cylinder head that I want to rebuild and use.  I purchased the "C
Type valve lifter & Spring Compressor" from  JC Whintey.  My problem is, I
can't get the springs to compress in order to remove the spring key.  I
think I'm using the tool correctly (jaws over the collar, ratchet
handle/shaft placed against the valve head), but I'm having little success.
When I squeeze the handle, the "C type" portion of the tool must be giving
since the collar and springs aren't compressing.   What's the secret?
Thanks in advance.
Bob Van
1960 TR3A