RE: UJ verses CV joints (What's the main difference?)

Subject: RE: UJ verses CV joints (What's the main difference?)
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:18:19 -0700
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

On Friday, September 17, 1999 5:15 AM, Gernot von Hoegen
[SMTP:avac@totalise.co.uk] wrote:

> one little difference, UJ's seem to be stronger by inherent design than
cv's.

I'm not quite sure what that means, but the FWD Oldsmobile Toronado used CV
joints to carry over 1000 ft-lbs of torque, and I've never heard that CV
joint failures were particularly common.

For that matter, my FWD Chevy has plenty of torque to spin 8" wide tires
(or at least it used to <g>), and I've never broken a CV joint ...

Randall