Re: UJ verses CV joints (What's the main difference?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: UJ verses CV joints (What's the main difference?)
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:42:15 -0400
Hi,

So, I'm at an autocross with my '74 TR6 DSP car... I've got three year old
Hoosier radial DOT tires, so I figure I ought to be able to get these
babies to slide a little, if I need to "rotate" the car, for instance.

The middle section of the course was a fairly wide sweeper. On my first
run, I dove in, braked HARD, and turned - seemed pretty easy. But I had not
realized when I walked the course exactly how wide the turn really was. The
car stuck pretty good, so I figured I probably wasn't driving fast enough
on entry.

So, on my second run, I figure I'll drive in hard, turn hard, stab the
brakes to get the car to start to rotate the car and "power out". Well, I
turned in, stabbed the brakes and the car rotated _immediately_. Somewhere
in the middle of said rotation, there was this wierd grunch-like sound in
the back. The car squatted heavily and actually bottomed on the upper bump
stops on the driver side. Not exactly smooth, I might point out.

At any rate, when the suspension unloaded the other way, the _entire_ rear
of the car leaped off the ground. Witnesses tell me they saw air under both
rear tires. I know at least one side came off, because the tach jumped from
4000 to about 5500 and back to 4000 in what seemed like a second, but was
probably more like half a second.

I then "drove away", apparently no less for the worse.

What I had experienced, apparently was "spline lock" in the extreme.
Ironically, in 4 years of autocrossing that car, that was the only time I
ever experienced that.

However, I would say that I def would not like this sort of thing occurring
at say "the kink" at Road America. It would be very nasty, indeed.

But now when someone tells me they've seen "spline lock", I have to get
details.

CV joints are on my list of stuff to get, but I'm going to try the stock
axles for version one of Khartu.

Yee ha!
rml

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper