Body Shell Painting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Body Shell Painting
From: Harrymague@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:19:23 EDT
I am about to have my new TR6 body shell (TRF Shell) painted and I am having
a discussion with the body shop about how to paint it.  How has anybody with
a new shell done this????  The shop suggests that we paint it all
disassembled but I am concerned about the seams along the rear panels.  I
think the Truimph people orginally painted the car with the panels on from
what I gather from publications, but this has lead to the seams cracking from
the twisting and bumps of the car and rust occurs in those areas.  If we
paint the panels off the car, then each bolt will have to be painted and
probably touched up when the shell is assembled.  Painting the panels off the
car ensures that the panels will be completly paint and sealed.

Once the car is assembled, then I intend to paint the wheel wells, rockers,
and rear the black/undercoating.

Does anybody have any suggestions???   This project is about two years old
and I would hate to screw it up now.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Mague
Harrymague@aol.com