Bent TR4 pushrods, what did I do wrong?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bent TR4 pushrods, what did I do wrong?
From: Luke P Miller <umilll02@umail.ucsb.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:03:39 -0700 (PDT)
I was attempting to put my rebuilt TR4 engine back together today, and
bent three of the pushords after reinstalling the rocker arms and
adjusting the valves.

I started with all the valve adjuster backed off,  and did as the amnual
said: I rotated the crank such that the #1 pushrod was all the way up, and
then rotated the crank one more turn. At this point I adjusted the #1
rocker to .01", and proceeded to the next rocker, and so on. Somewhere
along the line I bent pushrods #2,3, and 7. Rather annoying.

So what did I do wrong. I felt I understood the manual's directions, and
with all the adjusters initally backed off there wouldn't be any danger of
piston to valve contact (I'm assuming this is an interference engine) and
I would be free to rotate away. Perhaps the timing chain is off? I didn't
install it myself.

Luke Miller
umilll02@umail.ucsb.edu   Santa Barbara, CA