Re: TR3 Headlight Removal

To: tambrose@tir.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Headlight Removal
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 22:16:08 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/26/99 6:52:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tambrose@tir.com
writes:

<< Hello,

 My neighbor is having the hardest time removing the headlights off his 3. I
 guess there's supposed to be a downward facing screw underneath the rim.
 However, the head of the 'screw' is a flat surface with no place to insert a
 screwdriver. Also, it is really a tough angle to work on.

 What'd you think? >>

It may not be that kind of rim. Sounds like it may be a TR4 style - later TR3
style. When the cars changed to the wide mouth apron the original rim mount
method (screw) won't work. On small mouth aprons the headlight nacelles stick
out, on wide mouth aprons they're much more recessed. There was a clamping
rim and later a snap on rim for the wide mouth cars.
The cars originally came with a small tool to remove the snap on rims, which
I believe was an "L" shaped piece of steel. I don't think I have ever seen
one, but anything that can get behind the rim and pull outwards should pop it
loose.
If memory serves - and this is all from memory - the early hlite buckets had
3 aiming adjustment screws and later ones have 2.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A (w/ clamps)
62 TR3B ( w/ snap on)
64 TR4  ditto