Re: TR4 Gear Box Rebuild : Churchhill Tools

To: Will Daehler <wdaehler@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Gear Box Rebuild : Churchhill Tools
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:37:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 9/26/99 11:03 PM, Will Daehler wrote:

>  Apart from that, the job looks routine.  Anyone with a suggestion?
>Past wisdom?  Pitfalls? Suggestions? Old tools for sale?  Uninstalled
>kits you don't want? Circlip removers that you want to share? 5 speed
>websites in New Zealand?
>
>Will Daehler
>63 TR4
>Digest

Will,

Get a Haynes Manual on Ebay or from the top three.   I did mine with only a
few ordinary tools.

You will need a:

rubber hammer
brass hammer
set of brass drifts
circlip tool from sears
seal install kit
seal remover
bear install kit
bearing puller

All this stuff can be bought for around a $120 dollars if you use Harbor
Freight as I did.  The thick circlip on the end of gear set is a bitch.  It
will no doubt get destroyed in the removal process.  But a new one is
required anyway.  Just use 2 screwdrivers and patience.

I could not get the little roller bearing out of the laygear ends or the
input shaft.  I ended up taking the pieces to a machine shop and had the
old bearings removed and the new ones pressed in.

Remember to protect the gears from banging on each other while your doing
all the pounding with the hammers and drifts.

Brian Sanborn

62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA
My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/Home.html (Updated 9/12/99)