Broken TR3 Temp Gauge ?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Broken TR3 Temp Gauge ?
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:47 -0500
Hop-count: 1
I fired up the engine on my TR3A last night, just to make sure everything was
OK before preparing to put the body back on. I hooked up the temp gauge to make
sure the coolant was flowing and cooling properly. After the engine heated up,
the coolant was hot (steaming but not boiling) in both the engine and the
radiator, so I know the coolant was circulating, but the temp gauge was still
pegged at the minimum reading and did not seem to be registering at all. The
thermocouple was screwed tightly into the thermostat housing, and the capillary
tube did not appear to be broken anywhere.

What is the probable cause of the problem? Bad thermocouple, bad gauge, or
something else?

Neither Moss or Vicky Brit have the temp gauge or it's components. What can I
do, if anything?

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
'58 TR3A