RE: TR3 Temp Gauge

To: "'TR'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Temp Gauge
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:39:21 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Geo :

The bulb mounted in the Tstat housing contains a very volatile liquid (which
I believe is diethyl ether), whose vapor pressure is proportional to it's
temperature.  The gauge is then basically a pressure gauge that reads the
vapor pressure.  Since the vapor will condense (giving off considerable
heat) if it touches a cooler surface, the entire capillary tube (and the
guts of the gauge) wind up being heated very close to the same temperature
as the bulb.  (This is the same principle used to cool sodium filled exhaust
valves.)

Randall
59 TR3A