RE: TR3 Temp Gauge

To: "'TR List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Temp Gauge
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:39:17 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Randall Young'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Dave :

OK, answer me this.  What happens when a saturated vapor comes in contact
with a (relatively) cool surface ?  Answer : it condenses, giving up it's
latent heat, and thereby heating the surface.  This process will continue
until the surface is no longer cooler than the vapor.

Sodium filled valves may have been a bad example, although my understanding
has always been that the phase change was the important part, not the
mechanical circulation (hence the choice of sodium, which otherwise is a
most unpleasant substance to work with).  Heat pipes, as sometimes used in
high efficiency heat exchangers, also use the phase change to transfer heat,
without any mechanical circulation.  So do old fashioned steam radiators.

I suppose the real way to answer the question is for someone to disassemble
a working Tgauge and check how hot the Bourdon tube is.  Any volunteers ?
<g>

Randall