TRs in Automobile Magazine-Dec '99

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TRs in Automobile Magazine-Dec '99
From: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichols@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 00:56:54 -0500
On p. 84 of the Dec. '99 issue of Automobile Magazine the claim is made
that the Citroen DS was the first production car with front disk brakes
since it was introduced at the 1955 Paris Auto Show. But wasn't the TR3
the first production car actually available to the public with front
disk brakes?

On p. 124 of the same issue there is an item describing a 1955 'long
door' TR2 sold at a Monterey auction for $24200 having the commission
number TS52236L which I make to be a 1959 TR3A commission number-the
last TR2 being TS8636. It can't be a true 'long door' either since short
doors and external rocker panels were introduced on the 1955 TR2. The
term 'obsessive standard' is used to describe the restoration but
apparently there are lesser editorial standards at Automobile Magazine.
(I suspect that the commission number is just a typographical error but
that leaves the model year still in error according to Piggott.)

John T. Nichols
'58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'
'86 TVR 280i