Re: TR4 camshaft; engine rebuilding

To: Johntr6@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 camshaft; engine rebuilding
From: David Whitelaw <slasher_dw@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:20:15 -0800 (PST)
My experience is with a TR4A which I had rebuilt
(throught a machinest) to factory spec except when it
came to Kastner's Competition Prep Manual, I had the
4A head milled close to 10:1 (the 4A now runs 8
degrees BTDC on 92 octane), and had it ported.  I
BELIEVE IN PORTING! I went from 108 Hp to maybe 135+
Hp .  Its the difference between a snail and a rocket
(I got 2nd gear scratch - not recommended).  I also
had the valves and seats hardened (it now uses
unleaded), had the the flywheel ground, put in a "D"
rally cam (close to our 3/4 racing cam) and had the
engine balenced. Please note that I had the porting,
milling, and flywheel preperation done at a
competition shop. The 4A suffered some degration in
low end torque (0 to 2000 RPM), (2000 to 2500 RPM)
about the same, but 2500 RPM on up its a rocket. Gas
mileage suffered 20 mph as opposed to 24 mph around
town. My total cost (1990 prices) was $1900.00 (but
hay, what does a Miata cost?).

David G. Whitelaw (slasher_dw@yahoo.com)
66 TR4A IRS (being restored for VTR 2000)

=====