Re: Windscreen sealent

To: "Kyle K. Rice" <kkrice@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Windscreen sealent
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 4 1999 11:00:35 GMT-0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Does anyone know what this sealant is and where I can get some?

Kyle,

When I replaced my windsheild glass, I had an absolutely horrible time getting
the old black sealant off.  It required a powerful heat gun and endless
scraping.  I finally got all of it off with mineral sprits (paint thinner).
Based on the advice I got and the fact that I don't drive the car in bad
weather... I didn't use any sealant at all.

The rubber gasket groove overlaps the glass more than 3/4 of an inch on both
sides... it should be enough if everything is clean and smooth before
installation.

I had a practical test this summer when I was caught in a cloud burst style
thunder storm at the "Day of Triumph" in Boston.  I watched for any kind of
leak... and there was none at all while driving at speed all the way home.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html