Re: Flywheels Lightened or Alloy on Triumphs

To: rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheels Lightened or Alloy on Triumphs
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 16:50:53 EST
rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Flywheels Lightened or Alloy on Triumphs
 Date:  07/11/99 21:22:48 GMT Standard Time
 From:  rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu (R. John Lye)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com

 Hi Leon,
      I've got a Tilton aluminum flywheel on my race car (TR-4)
 and I'm in the process of fitting an aluminum flywheel to my
 street TR-3 as part of the rebuild process (I hope to have it
 done sometime soon).  What would you like to know?

 later,

 John Lye

 '59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
 email: rjl6n@virginia.edu
 homepage:  http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm

Thanks John,

Well, I am in the process of some pretty serious (read expensive) mod's to my
Vitesse 2 Litre Mk.2 (short stroke) Convertible, and am interested in what
listers consider any advantages and/or disadvantages, and problems
encountered with the fitment of alloy flywheels to their Triumphs of any type.
It is interesting what I have heard so far.

>From the 'I bought a car with alloy flywheels fitted, (by a PO), which had
problems',
to the 'I'd really like to fit one, BUT'... to the 'well, I'd only fit one to
a race car, and not to a street car, if I were you', to...'go for it, and
good luck'...but what I'd really like to hear is 'well, before I had one it
behaved like this, whereas after I fitted one, it behaved like this', or
perhaps, 'don't use alloy type XX, instead, use alloy XY' because...etc

Anyhow, I think you see where I am coming from...whatever happens, I am going
to do this...and indeed, the more people say, 'oh no, you don't want to do
that', the more likely it becomes that I will certainly do that, because
that's the type of person that I am, I want to be the one to judge for
myself, but at the same time, I also want to maximise my chances of getting
it right first time, especially when a lot of my hard-earned pennies are at
stake!

ps. no offence intended towards any of those good folk who have been so kind
as to reply to my original posting, indeed, any and all input is valuable and
appreciated!

Best Regards to all on the list!!!
Keep 'em a coming!

Léon