Re: Flywheels Lightened or Alloy on Triumphs

To: spitlist@gte.net, GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Subject: Re: Flywheels Lightened or Alloy on Triumphs
From: SpitRacer9@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:51:02 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Leon,
    I have a lightened fly on both my TR6 and my Spitfire race project.  The
lighening doesn't seem to pose a problem for the street car, and the spitfire
will probably end up with an aluminum flywheel on it.  If you application is
a street car, I would no recommend you go with an alloy flywheel because of
the drivability issue.  More RPM's to start and poorer idling
charactoristics.  Another issue with an aluminum flywheel is incorporating a
scatter shield because they are known to fail.  If this is a street
application I'd go with lightening the flywheel, Triumph didn't spare any
metal on the stock flywheel and made them far to heavy in my opinion.

Aaron