Re; Lubricants

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re; Lubricants
From: "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:30:19 -0000
Listers - Reading 'new' versus 'old' oils thread reminded me of my
experience with a Mk2 Cooper S. The engine was rebuilt - crank re-grind,
bearings, new oil pump - no expense spared. Oil pressure was excellent,
although it ran without an oil cooler, using Castrol GTX 20/50. At the
suggestion of a friend, I tried a new fangled oil. After about 30 miles at
70 mph on a motorway, oil pressure was disappearing fast. I was close to
tears. I came off the motorway and changed the oil at a helpful service
station. The 'new' oil came out like water. I refilled with 20/50 - no
problem - oil pressure back to normal. The engine in my 73 TR6 is of a
similar vintage; I would not contemplate using a 'new' oil.
Ian Viles (Derbyshire, UK)