Spit Front Upper Ball Joint: help needed

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Front Upper Ball Joint: help needed
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:36:12 -0500
Folks,

My son's 80 Spit has a REALLY loose front upper ball joint on one side.
Replacement ordered and on it's way.

Getting the old one off is the problem:  The tapered part is so loose that
it doesn't want to grip the taper in the top of the vertical link (and I
hope the taper in the link isn't knackered and is still servicable after
all all!) and so we're having a lot of fun trying to undo the nyloc nut
which twirls away quite happily without budging an inch.   Have tried
"holding" the upper wishbone and the link together ... no luck, the nut
still spins.

Have looked at the archives and apart from finding other tales of woe,
didn't see anything that looked like it would help.  My current thinking is
to use a 50mm cutting wheel in a die grinder and cut through the threaded
portion between the nut and upper boss of the vertical link (there is a
3-4mm gap so I have enough room), but would really like to find an easier
answer, if it exists.

Any ideas? Spells? Incantations ....

TIA

Tony Gordon